Hey, you did it!
You found my music blog!

Saturday, September 7, 2013

It's Happening Tomorrow

Greetings dear friends!  

Tomorrow night, September 8th, I'll take the stage at The Laughing Goat (17th and Pearl) from 8-9pm and would so love to see you there.  I'll be performing some new songs that came to me during Song School and can't wait to share them!  

Song School was quite an amazing experience.  Once again, it blew me away, cracked open my heart and taught me more than I could have ever imagined possible.  I chose to spend many of my workshops under the instruction of Amy Speace, a wonderful performer and vocalist.  I want to share with you a little nugget from her performance workshop.  

Amy had each one of us get up in front of the class and sing the first verse of 'Amazing Grace'; during this performance our classmates were to write down two positive words and one negative word to describe us.  Afterwards, we each went up and sat in a chair while everyone blurted out the words they had written down.   Sounds vulnerable right?  The point of this exercise was to help us "use what we've got".  First impressions are powerful, lasting and seem to be invariable no matter who is observing you and no matter how you try to present yourself.  Amy encouraged us, as performers, to acknowledge our true selves, the dark and the light sides.  Accept and even use to your advantage your "shadow" self on stage as a powerful tool for connecting with the audience.  

After all, we're all more connected than we think...and the strongest connection we can feel to another human being is when see and are truly seen by another in our open, raw, faulty, vulnerable, human state.