Hey, you did it!
You found my music blog!

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Owning Your Own Story

 Authenticity as a practice
   It has become abundantly clear to me that there can be no separation between living my daily life and being on the journey called "musician".   More than simply a career choice, for some of us we have embarked on a path that, once begun will leave us much farther from where we started and forever changed.  

   The journey is not for the timid-hearted, it requires courage and strength.  Asking that we open our hearts truly and authentically, all the time....on stage and in life.  That we share ourselves with everyone we meet and ask for nothing in return.  

   Speaking my truth without regret is new for me and I am clumsy at it....but at least I have begun.  And each step I take it's with the intention of living, speaking and creating from a place of open, raw truth.   Whether you are a musician or not, a path like this might just find you too, it might ask you to come along; and if you go, I hope you find redemption in the beautiful, simple practice of embracing of your own story.

Brene Brown, author of The Gifts of Imperfection and speaker on great subjects like shame and vulnerability is one of my favorite new authors and lecturers.  You can find her giving amazing Ted talks here.

I will leave you with this quote from Ms. Brown:

“Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it. Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky but not nearly as dangerous as giving up on love and belonging and joy—the experiences that make us the most vulnerable. Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.” 
― BrenĂ© Brown